Construction of Buildings: The factory occupies the site of the former Castle Blouse Factory; Thornton’s moving onto site in 1947 and remaining to 2004 approximately 1.4 hectares in area. The proposed demolition works are restricted to the clearance of assorted factory buildings of varying ages dating from the early 1900s to 1970s/1980s.
The 1970s building comprising a two-storey concrete frame with brick infill with a flat concrete roof and concrete floors and remainder earlier built two-storey brick buildings with pitched slate roofs and single storey buildings of the same brick and slate roof construction.
The 1900s Castle Blouse factory on Derwent Street was protected throughout the demolition and will be refurbished for reuse.
Program: 14 weeks