Former Thornton’s Factory, Belper, Derbyshire.
Construction of Buildings: The factory occupies the site of the former Castle Blouse Factory; Thornton’s moving onto site in 1947 and remaining to 2004 approximately 1.4 hectares in area. The proposed demolition works are restricted to the clearance of assorted factory buildings of varying ages dating from the early 1900s to 1970s/1980s.
The 1970s building comprising a two-storey concrete frame with brick infill with a flat concrete roof and concrete floors and remainder earlier built two-storey brick buildings with pitched slate roofs and single storey buildings of the same brick and slate roof construction.
The 1900s Castle Blouse factory on Derwent Street was protected throughout the demolition and will be refurbished for reuse.
Program: 14 weeks
This project consisted of the establishment of welfare facilities, method statements, site documentation, plans of work, exclusion zone heras fencing for segregation of each area during the demolition & associated works.
- To supply and erect 2.4m high timber hoarding to the boundary with 5m wide gate for access/egress.
- Carried out full dilapidation survey to all areas prior to demolition works commencing.
- Controlled removal/disposal of asbestos based materials located within building structures highlighted in demolition/refurbishment asbestos surveys issued in accordance with current regulations.
- Carried out the initial soft strip exercise and removal of all fixtures and fittings within the building structures and disposed of off-site to various recycling stations.
- Controlled removal/disposal of former oil tanks and contents offsite in accordance with current regulations.
- Supply and erection of full working scaffolding in order to allow top down/demolition works by hand.
- Hand demolition/separation from listed cottage building which was occupied during the contract period and separation of listed building to be retained to the frontage.
- Demolition and site clearance of Former Thornton’s Factory down to floor slab level. All non-crushable arising material to be disposed offsite to various recycling stations.
- Broke up and excavate ground floor slabs/hard standings and foundations and bases to the depth of 3.0m and dispose off-site all demolition non-crushable arising’s to various recycling stations.
- Controlled removal and disposal of Japanese knotweed highlighted in accordance with current regulations and issue guarantee for works completed in this area.
- Import to site; mobile crushers in order for all brick/concrete arising material from the demolition works to be processed and crushed to a 6f2 specification and left onsite amount required for client re-use
- Graded up site to adjacent levels leaving site free from hazards such as trips or falls.
City Demolition were professional & efficient throughout in the demolition of our site. Fully recommended!
– Thorntons, Managing Director